Sunday, April 7, 2013

Crafty Lady: Anthropologie Inspired Trinket Dish

On another non-food related topic, because cooking isn't my only endeavor, I recently decided to get all crafty and make a trinket dish. I've actually been crafting a lot lately! This is mainly because I have an amazingly creative and crafty best friend, by the name of Katee (follow her on Pinterest here), and she is always inspiring me to try my hand at various crafts. It's a lot of fun and super rewarding!

If you're a Pinterest addict, like myself, then I'm sure you've seen the endless pins of "Anthropologie Inspired Ring Plates," but it's a super easy and inexpensive craft to make, so I decided to make a couple for myself and a few friends.

The supplies you'll need are:

  • Small paint brush
    • You'll want a small one for any of the little details on your animal or figurine (i.e. eyes, feet, etc).
  • Small Plastic Animal or Figurine
    • I bought mine at the craft store, and it helps to choose ones that have a level base or feet that lay flat.
  • Small plate
    • I found mine at Goodwill for like 99 cents each. They're the perfect color and I was super lucky to find them. You want to make sure the plate has a flat center and is about the size of an appetizer plate or tea cup plate. 
  • Craft Paint
  • Adhesive
    • I used E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive. You can use hot glue, but I find that hot glue doesn't have enough of a rubbery, stretchy texture and often breaks, so I would advise it. 

And the steps to make them are:
  • Paint your figures in the color you've chosen. Mine needed about 2 to 3 coats of paint, so this process took me about an hour or less. I painted each coat after about 15 minutes of drying. After you've done your last coat you want to make sure to let it dry completely for a few hours. 
  • Thoroughly clean and dry your plates. 
  • Take your dry, painted animal or figurine and determine where you want it to stand on your plate. 
  • Use a small amount of your adhesive and apply to the base of your animals or figurine (in my case their little feet) and then place on your plate.
  • Let dry over night anVoilĂ !







2 comments:

  1. who did you make the cat one for? they turned out super cute, Jessica!!! I think you are officially a craftylady now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a daughter in disguise... as you are as crafty as my other daughters! :) SHANA

    ReplyDelete